Pages

Wednesday, March 14, 2012

I have a cold... AGAIN!! - Slice of Life Challenge

Anyone who has seen me or talked to me in the last five months probably remembers that I had a cold at the time of our interaction.  And most likely, your memory would be serving you correctly.  I feel like I have had one long, perpetual cold since November.  What's up with that?

Yet again, my head is filled with gunk, I am sneezing all the way from my toes, and my coughs sound like the seals at Sea World.  What an inopportune time to be ill; just a few days from spring break.  However, two days before getting to that finish line, there will be "the talk" with the 5th graders.  You might know the one I'm talking about - in our neck of the woods, we call it the Human Growth and Development talk.  The talk that has boys in one room, girls in another, and both of them watching movies that make them either very giggly or very nervous.

The entire week of the HGD conversation, the 5th graders get a little squirrelly.  If there was ever a time I needed to be on my A-game, this would be the week.  Yet, this cold has a mind of its own, and I am putting my two classes in the hands of a substitute I've never met tomorrow.  My hope is that he/she (job hasn't even been filled yet at the time I composed this post, but no worries) can hold down the fort for one day while I stay home to rest and recuperate.  And, even if I'm not feeling terrific on Thursday, I hope that just my presence (or threat to sneeze on them) will calm the masses until "the talk" begins at 3:00 PM.

Then, the next day my husband and I are headed to Hilton Head for a week.  I keep telling myself that certainly sunshine, fresh ocean breezes, and the ability to be outside for long stretches of time will certainly cure me.

My hope is that at our next interaction, you will remember that I was smiling and healthy.


As always, thanks to Stacey and Ruth at Two Writing Teachers for hosting the Slice of Life Challenge!

7 comments:

  1. So sorry you aren't feeling well! Take it easy today and hopefully you will be all ready for "the talk" tomorrow! (Yikes, glad I teach fourth grade!) And then a week in Hilton Head! Big Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get better Karen, that is terrible that this cold refuses to leave you. I hope that the sunshine does the trick for you, along with some serious rest.

    Take good care of yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How ironic - my post today is about being sick as well! Fortunately our "talk" in fifth grade isn't until May. I do have to go to school this morning but can leave at lunch if need be. Have a wonderful time in Hilton Head. We vacation right off of there in the summer on an island called Daufuskie Island. Hope your cold is gone soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a few days ahead for you! I hope your day of R&R will help you through THE conversation, and then on to Hilton Head. Wonderful to just imagine! Yes, I bet the ocean will heal. It's always worked for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laughed when you referred to "the talk." I know of the anticipation of the fifth graders in the halls during the week of "the talk." Every day during that week I am reminded of why I am so happy to teach fourth grade!

    Hope you are feeling better soon, and HIlton Head will be magical for some much needed R and R.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope sun and sand help bake that cold completely out of you--and that you manage to get through the days leading up to it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do hope you are feeling better. When I saw the picture, I connected. I'm fighting a cold right now and was wondering how to add in the sound of sneezing if I chose to write a post. Stay strong. The sunshine should brighten your life, especially after the interesting week you are having.

    ReplyDelete