Pages

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Looking for Newbery - Breadcrumbs

Is there anyone who has read Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu that hasn't loved it and its themes and its beautiful language?!  If so, I haven't talked to them.

I needed a quick review today, so as I was looking back at the reviews I've written this year, I found a small snippet I wrote after the 48 Hour Challenge last June.  It all still holds true, so I'm copying it here:

**I finished Breadcrumbs by Anne Ursu. I don't want to ruin the plot, because this book doesn't even come out until this October, but I do have to say the themes within the story make it an incredibly important read. A couple of notes, however. The main character is at one point reading When You Reach Me by Rebecca Stead. I loved how cleverly Ursu lets the reader know that without ever mentioning the actual title, and how well she connected the two story lines. Another part that truly stuck a chord with me is the following:

'Somewhere ahead there was a boy who had been her best friend. She had known so many versions of him, she carried all of them with her.'

If that passage doesn't capture the essence of friendship, I'm not sure what does. I kept reading the section over and over, loving it more each time.**

As I reread this brief reflection, I remembered how much this passage, and so many more passages just like it, in Breadcrumbs moved me.  It is a book that is sure to be a classic and quite possibly wearing a Newbery medal in the very near future.

1 comment:

  1. Karen, I had the absolute pleasure of reading Breadcrumbs during our winter break. I, too, loved the book and stopped many times in awe of the language or the story line. The quote you have mentioned is one of my favorite lines from the book, too. This is one of those books that I continue to think about and I look forward to reading more books by this author. I have my fingers crossed that Breadcrumbs becomes a Newbery winner! Thanks so much for all the book reviews. I enjoy reading all your reviews and look forward to reading your recommendations.

    ReplyDelete